What it Means to Volunteer
According to Volunteer Canada, volunteering is the most fundamental act of citizenship and philanthropy in our society. It is the offering of time, energy and skills of one’s own free will.
People volunteer for many reasons. Experience has taught us that the reasons almost always include a combination of give and take—volunteers want to support both the community they live in (from a small village to the global community) and their own personal growth.
Volunteering for Self
- To connect and have fun
- To acquire skills you don’t already possess
- To practice skills you have just learned
- To achieve personal goals, or to check an item off your “bucket list”
- To get satisfaction from an accomplishment
Volunteering for Community
- To give back
- To get to know a community
- To support a specific cause
- To support a person to whom you are close
- To help build something bigger than yourself
Before you start the process of finding a volunteer position, we have found that it is a good idea to engage in some self-reflection to determine why you want to volunteer, and what you wish to get out of it. At the Sunshine Coast Volunteer Centre, we are committed to helping you find a volunteer position that fits. Our list of Volunteer Opportunities is a list of current volunteer positions that have been posted by local organizations.